We serve a God that is constantly pushing His children to an uncomfortable place, a better version if you will, only to rely on HIM. He knows what's best; the best plan, the best path, the best strategy, the best timing, the best words to use, the best place to be, the best opportunity, the best scripture we need to guide us. His word does say that "His ways are higher than our ways" (Isaiah 55:9)
- He pushed Joshua to be the lead man when he was ok and comfortable being under one of the greatest leaders in history and couldn't imagine filling those shoes (or sandals ;)
- He challenged Esther's courage and boldness in an environment that was rigid and hostile.
- He convicted (not condemned) Peter to recognize his fears and disobedience and equipped him with the Holy Spirit to get the job done.....NO EXCUSES.
- He spoke to a women with a colorful past to think differently and see that there is a better way.
- He patiently spoke to new followers of Christ and taught them a different way of thinking....a better way. It was challenging not to live by the law when that's all they've ever known.
- He asked some to leave everything and go far away to teach people.
- He told some to stay but to teach the people to put themselves last....an unpopular message still today.
Bottom line: A BETTER VERSION OF YOU!
This eliminates excuses of what you are comfortable with, what your personality is, what your strengths are, what feels good and what is a struggle. He is the potter and we are the clay. If He doesn't like what He sees, He has every right to change it. If He wants to add or take away, He can do this.
And Yet, the beautiful and challenging thing is, that most of the time He gives free will. Of coarse, He ultimately has the final say if He chooses, but He lovingly speaks and hopes for His children to do it themselves. Similar to us as parents, we have the ultimate say, but how much more beautiful and fulfilling when we see our children grab ahold themselves and take ownership?
This upgrade can only happen with daily intimacy in the Word of God. Not reading a devotion, a scripture, or even a spiritual blog post....BUT digging in the word of God and letting it speak to you, taking notes, praying those words, and actually applying that to your daily activity!
"For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit (this means your personality versus your spiritual man) and of joints and marrow, and is a discernment of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
*did you catch the words that conflict our flesh man (soul...aka personality) versus our spirit man. We can not make any more excuses regarding people's "personality". God loves His children. He created them in HIS image with all types of personalities. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. The problem is that people don't want to grow and change more into HIS likeness. They want to claim and grab ahold of "their personality" and not move.
If God wanted people to just stay in one state their entire life He wouldn't have given us creation, in front of our very eyes, to see the seasons change and plant life growing and dying and flourishing and struggling. He has given mankind the knowledge how to make things healthier, better, safer, and even more productive.
Don't over-think this.....just take on His likeness and He will use you where He sees fit!
In His Word,
The Mrs. Pastor