Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Driving a Parked Car?


Think back with me when you couldn't wait to drive.  Go ahead......think way back.  You'd get in the drivers seat and imagine how great it would be.  If you were lucky, you lived in the country and got to drive the old pick-up in the field.  When my girls got their permit, they always wanted to go get the car right after church and drive around the church parking lot....now that's desperate to drive!

Finally, the day arrives and you are driving.  Time moves on and you are living life and you get in an accident.  You become a reluctant driver and would rather someone else drive.  The problem is that you can't stay that way forever.  You eventually need to drive....to move forward.  You can't drive a parked car!  Unfortunately, there are many who want to move forward but are just sittin'.....sittin' while time is passing and purposes need to be fulfilled. 

There are things at this very moment that the Lord has in mind for you but there are certain things holding you back.  I've made a quick list of some things that put a person in a parked car:

1. Pride:
 Probably the number one killer of any success in relationships, careers, ministry, family, parenting, and leadership.  Pride is a form of self-preservation.  You think you are protecting yourself but in actuality you are hurting yourself.  It might feel very comfortable in that parked car but you are getting no where.  The enemy is winning on this one....and we are letting him! 

Proverbs 11:2
"When pride comes, then comes shame;"


Proverbs 13:10
"By pride comes nothing but strife,"


Proverbs 15:25
"The Lord will destroy the house of the proud"


Proverbs 16:18
"Pride goes before destruction"

2. Teachable:
This one is closely related to pride.  In fact, they are probably brothers.  We were created to have a teachable spirit, an obedient spirit.  The problem is that we get a little momentum, a little successful, find our voice in a leadership position and BAM we are listening to the wrong voice.....our own.  We have made "experience" or "age" or even "time" our god.  This will park you faster than you know.  It may look like on the outside that you are busy making things happening but in reality you are just sittin' in a parked car.  God can not use people who are not teachable.  Being teachable is not only receiving instruction (whether from God's word or people He places in our path) but also correction (from the Holy Spirit or people).

Psalm 32:8-9
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.  Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding, which must be harnessed with bit and bridle, else they will not come."

Proverbs 4: 3
"Don't be wise in your own eyes."

Proverbs 5:12
"How I hated instruction, and my heart despised correction!  I have not obeyed the voice of my teachers , nor inclined my ear to those who instructed me! I was on the verge of total ruin..."

Proverbs 5:23
"He shall die for lack of instruction, and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray."

Proverbs 13:18
"Poverty and shame will come to him who disdain correction, but he who regards a rebuke will be honored. "

3. Fearful:
When we take a step forward, anything and everything could go wrong. YES, it could.  But it also could go very right.  This is where pride and not being teachable come into play.  WE ARE GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES.  If we have a growth mindset, we are learning from them and making them less often.  We are being humbled and used and molded at every moment.  There is no shame in that.  There is shame when "pride" is your best friend and you think more of people's opinions than God's.  When you can't forgive or apologize and move on.  God honors obedience and if you believe His word you have nothing to be afraid of!

Hebrews 13:5
"I will never leave you nor forsake you."

2 Timothy 1:7
"For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and sound mind."

Proverbs 14: 26
"In the fear (respect) of the Lord there is strong confidence."

Psalm 32:7
"....You shall preserve me from trouble; you shall surround me with songs of deliverance."


and last, but certainly not least is....

4. Contentment:
What???? What's wrong with a state of peace and happiness? Nothing is wrong with this.  As a matter of fact, we pray for this in all of our lives.  The problem is that we get so cozy that we don't move.  We can't "drive the car" to a place we've never been before!  We might get lost, we feel uneasy, there might be a lot of traffic or.....PEOPLE!  We might have to interact with PEOPLE that we don't know or even like.  We might have to sacrifice our time to do good.  NAH.....I think I'd rather just stay here in my parked car and take a big whiff of "new car" smell. 

Proverbs 3:27
"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so."

James 2:26
"For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead." [you gotta get out there and DO SOMETHING .....possibly for SOMEONE ELSE.....not about YOU].

Go ahead, start the car and start moving forward.  You can not go wrong if your heart and steps are being obedient to God.  Don't over-think it.  Just look to His word and be obedient. The promise will follow if you are letting wisdom, understanding, and knowledge guide your steps:

Proverbs 3:21-26 [YOUR PROMISE]
As I keep sound wisdom and discretion, they will be life to my soul and grace to my neck. I will walk safely in His way and my foot will not stumble. When I lie down, I will not be afraid; yes, I will lie down and my sleep will be sweet.  I will not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from  the wicked when it comes; The Lord will be my confidence, and will keep my foot from being caught."


See ya on the Highway,
The Mrs. Pastor








No comments:

Post a Comment